Woman’s Club of Indian Valley was organized and federated in 1934. We are federated with the General Federation of Women’s Clubs (GFWC).
GFWC is organized internationally, nationally, by state, by district or county, and locally. We follow the mission, vision, structure, and rules of operation of the national organization.
The following is quoted from the GFWC website (national).
The General Federation of Women’s Clubs is an international women’s organization dedicated to community improvement by enhancing the lives of others through volunteer service.
GFWC is an international women’s organization dedicated to community improvement by enhancing the lives of others through volunteer service. GFWC members are in every state and more than a dozen countries. Their goal is to promote civic involvement in their communities, advancing education as well as preservation of the arts and culture all the while promoting healthy lifestyles.
GFWC clubs and clubwomen are the fabric that binds not only the Federation, but the communities in which they live and work. By Living the Volunteer Spirit, GFWC clubwomen transform lives each day, not simply with monetary donations, but with hands-on tangible projects that provide immediate impact. With a grassroots approach that often thinks locally but impacts globally, GFWC, its clubs and members remain committed to serving as a force for global good, as it has done since its formation 128 years ago.
With over 80,000 members in affiliated clubs in every state, the District of Columbia, and more than a dozen countries, GFWC members work in their own communities to support the arts, preserve natural resources, advance education, promote healthy lifestyles, encourage civic involvement, and work toward world peace and understanding.
Since 1890, GFWC’s impact has been felt throughout communities across the Unites States and the globe.
The GFWC owes its beginnings to Jane Cunningham Croly, a professional journalist who in 1868, due to her gender, was denied admittance to a dinner at an all-male press club honoring Charles Dickens. This spurred her to form the famous women’s club, Sorosis-a “centre of unity” that had neither a charitable nor socio-economic purpose, but sought “collective elevation and advancement” As women’s clubs began forming across the country, they became a center of educational advocacy and sort of a college for older women who wanted to learn.
In celebration of Sorosis’ 21st anniversary in 1889, Jane Croly invited women’s clubs throughout the United States to pursue the cause of federation by attending a convention in New York City. On April 24, 1890, 63 clubs officially formed the General Federation of Women’s Clubs by ratifying the GFWC constitution.
The General Federation of Women’s Clubs was formed to support clubs throughout the nation and further their efforts at providing education, improved working conditions, health care, scholarships, and other reforms.
Nearly 80,000 members strong, the General Federation of Women's Clubs is united in its dedication to volunteer community service. While diverse in age, interests, and experiences, all clubwomen are united by a desire to create positive change in their communities.
Among the many accomplishments of the early GFWC are:
• Founding more than 75 percent of our nation’s libraries,
• Developing Kindergarten programs in public schools,
• Working for food and drug regulation,
• Leading the drive for emergency relief support for efforts from World War I.
(An updated list would be lengthy and impressive.)